In order to meet the EbA South project objectives and targets in Seychelles, a Natural Resource Economist (NRE) is being recruited by the Ministry of Environment, Energy and Climate Change (MEECC) of Seychelles, Coastal Adaptation & Management Section (CAMS), national partner of the EbA South project.
- Provide technical support to the National Focal Point (NFP) and the National Project Coordinator (NPC), whenever relevant.
- Communicate frequently with the national project team and with the international experts involved in the project.
- Periodic reporting.
- Conduct an analysis of commercial viability of ecosystem goods and services at project sites.
- Based on the above assessments, identify potential sources of income for households and potential income streams generated by EbA interventions.
- Develop sustainable financing plans based on in-depth market assessments to leverage additional funds for maintaining and up-scaling coastal mangrove and wetland restoration in Seychelles.
- Assist the project team in the submission of technical reports on the implementation of mangrove and wetland restoration in Seychelles, with a focus on economic aspects.
Work plan and reporting requirements
The NRE will take the lead in the following project activities:
Activity 3.2.2: Analyze the potential for private sector (like hotels, restaurants) participation and eco-tourism to be linked to mangrove restoration for informing project implementation and Activity 3.2.7.
Activity 3.2.7: Develop sustainable financing plans based on in-depth market assessments to leverage additional funds for maintaining and upscaling coastal mangrove and wetland restoration. e.g. labelling for green products, eco-tourism and private-public partnerships.
The NRE will also play a supporting role in other project activities conducted in Seychelles (long term research programme, awareness raising campaign, training programmes, on-the-ground implementation etc.) whenever requested by the NFP or the NPC.
- Market assessment report for the potential incomes streams linked to EbA interventions.
- Sustainable financing plans for EbA interventions in Seychelles.
This position is a part-time consultancy with a lump-sum payment. Duration of the contract will be three to eight months.
All deliverables shall be submitted by the end of December 2017.
Required skills and competences
- At least a first degree in economics or related discipline.
- A minimum of 5 years’ professional experience in the field of climate change adaptation and/or natural resource management.
- Good communication and computer skills.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Based in Seychelles (preferred).
Please send your CV with cover letter, and a quote for the provision of the above described consultancy services to:
Wills Agricole, Principal Secretary: email@example.com
cc: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Application deadline: 27 February 2017 (or until suitable applicant is found).
The successful applicant shall not become a staff member of the United Nations or UN Environment but shall sign a contract with the Ministry of Environment, Energy and Climate Change (MEECC) of Seychelles.
The United Nations or UN Environment shall neither be responsible nor liable for any claims which may arise from this employment and the MEECC shall take full responsibility in this regard.